Edward III Noble

 

The gold Noble was introduced by Edward III and continued until Edward IV where it was replaced by the larger Ryal or Rose Noble.

It was a very successful trade coin and had two smaller denomiatios the half and quarter noble. A number of Flemish imitations were also minted in the 16th century.

The coin was valued at 6s 8d and originally weighed 138.5 grains but this was lowered  between 1346 and 1351 to 120 grains where it remained.

The ship motive was considered to celebrate the Battle of Sluys where the English navy had decimated the French fleet at the beginning of the Hundred Years War.